Surgical Infections

Hospital-borne infections are on the increase - approximately 5% of hospitalized patients contract an infection. In 2000 the JAMA (July) reported 80,000 deaths due to these nosocomial infections. The first autopsy I attended (1977) was that of a perfectly healthy twenty-two year old mother whose death was the result of a hospital-borne Staph infection she contracted after her unnecessary forceps delivery. What a tragedy!
Today, activated charcoal is used in hospitals to combat the anemia associated with some cancers and in commercial wound dressings to control odors and infection. But this is nothing new. 1500 B.C. Egyptian physicians promoted the use of simple charcoal to control the odors of infected wounds. Did they realize that the charcoal controled the wound odors because it was also helping to control the wound infections that caused the odors?
Toe & Foot Infection
“My husband had toe surgery to correct his hammertoes on both feet (8 of them!). He picked up a Staph infection in the hospital and almost lost one of his toes due to infection. The toe looked like ground burger. The surgeon prescribed a powerful antibiotic, but it did not do anything for him.  He was then prescribed another, more powerful antibiotic. Again. Nothing!

I have used charcoal drinks and poultices over the years, but never for anything this serious. It has always worked well and efficiently for stomach ailments and wound infections. This was going to be our test. We trusted in God, and with prayer we placed his toes in the sunlight for sun treatments. We also placed some charcoal poultices on several times throughout the day. His toe healed wonderfully.

After a while, his other foot began to swell and turn dark. Apparently the Staph infection had gone throughout his body. He had a terrible skin reaction in his groin area, too. I treated this with a garlic poultice and sun baths.  But the foot was the worst.

 I called the doctor and she told me to take him immediately to the emergency room. We knew what emergency rooms can be like and didn't want the long hours and hassles--and more drugs that didn't work! We prayed to God for guidance. I told the Lord that if we didn't see any results by next morning, we would then go to the ER.

 It was 6 p.m. and I applied the first poultice. I used psyllium seed husk powder and mixed it with the charcoal. This produced a flexible poultice that wrapped completely around his food and then I covered it with plastic. I covered this with a heating pad set to LOW. We pleaded with God to allow us to glorify His name and to vindicate the use of this natural, harmless treatment. At midnight, I woke to change the dressing. The foot was remarkably lighter in color and the swelling had gone down.

I placed another poultice on, and, while praising God, I went back to sleeping peacefully. At 6 a.m. I woke and took off the dressing. The foot looked like new! No swelling. No darkness. There was, however, a red mark on the top of his foot. I continued to place a smaller poultice on this red mark and in a few days, the redness burst open and produced a discharge. I continued the poultices and in the next day or so, the wound began to show signs of healing. I exposed it to a little sunlight during the day with a poultice change once or twice throughout the day--then a poultice at night. Within the next few days, it was dried and healed. Praise the Lord! Apparently there was a deep infection in his foot that was being drawn to the surface by the poultice. The antibiotics did not work, but God sure did!"

P.S. "
I am now reading your book and I plan to share it with as many others as I can. Thank you for your work with this most wonderful remedy.
I didn't notice yet, but do you have anything in the book about poultices made with psyllium seed husk powder? [See page 142] It is wonderful! It is not messy at all and wraps so nicely around difficult areas. I had to place it on specific areas of my husband's feet and between his toes when a full poultice would have been too much for his feet. His feet became quite white and raw looking if I kept too many poultices on. So, it was nice to isolate the areas I needed to treat, and cutting the rubbery poultice was so handy."
Doug and Cindy
Knee Replacement
“This past Sabbath we went to visit a new sister in the church planning to give her a treatment for her leg. She invited over a friend to watch so she could give the treatment again.
Pauline has a 10-inch surgical scar running up from the knee from her recent surgery. It was puffy, her leg was swollen and covered with large bruises and clotting. She was very sore. The edges of the wound were bumpy and dark. We made up a flax and charcoal poultice (put the jelly between a folded paper towel) and placed it directly over the length of the wound then placed hot packs (damp folded bath towels) over the poultice, changing them every 5 minutes for a half hour. When we finished, we lifted the poultice and the poultice had already drawn out a good bit of the clotting and bruises. The swelling also had decreased. Pauline was so impressed she asked us to leave the poultice on. We had prayer and left.
“That evening around 8 pm she phoned and was so excited. She had just removed the poultice (after about 6 hours). The swelling was way down, the wound was thin, flat and pink. Most of the bruising was gone. She was sold on the simple treatment.”
Nova Scotia, Canada
To learn more how activated charcoal can help promote healing after surgery and combat infection, order the book today.